8.19.2008

is this teething?

Yesterday and today have not been fun.

It started with something like a cold. Now that Anastasia is almost six months, that didn't worry me at all. Bit of a runny nose, some fussiness--no problem at all. Build her immune system.

Nor did it worry me when she continued to get more and more fussy throughout the day. But by late afternoon she was crying a lot until she finally fell asleep. Well, I thought, maybe tomorrow will be better.

The morning was better. She seemed cheerful and happy. We went to school--I'm teaching a writing workshop at my neighbor's little private school, and Anastasia's coming with me; yesterday was our first day--and she was happy to see the kids and even fell asleep in the sling toward the end of class. She woke up as soon as we got home, so she only napped for about half an hour, but she still seemed reasonably happy.

That was at 9:45 am.

By 1:00 pm, things were falling apart. She hadn't slept that entire time. She'd been crying for about two hours, and she'd pooped in her diaper (a completely unexpected and unusual occurrence these days, especially since I quit eating dairy). Worst of all, she wouldn't nurse. She would eat a little and then pull off and cry. I kept offering, switching sides, trying different positions...but no go. She clearly wanted to sleep, and usually she falls asleep nursing, but something was bothering her, and she sounded like she was in pain.

I've heard that teething can sometimes make it hurt to nurse. Something about the sucking when the gums are sore, maybe.

She finally fell asleep in my arms, cradled on my shoulder as I rocked her in the rocking chair. She tucked her little face into the hollow of my neck and slept at last. Poor little thing. I was so exhausted by then that I put her down and slept with her--and both of us slept for three hours.

Now it's 9:00 pm, and she's just fallen asleep again for the night. The evening was much better than the morning, but there was still a lot of fussiness and crying and refusing to nurse before she finally settled into sleep. Poor baby. I really hope a tooth comes through soon.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Poor little sweetie! We have gone through that with Sweetey Petey as well. I have taken him to the doctor just to find out that he is teething and sometimes those stubborn teeth will not poke through either. Here's the rub though...when he had a double ear infection, he had the same symptoms. Arg! No fever but a little runny nose, slightly more fussy, sometimes a lot more fussy and not eating his bottles well. So I don't know when it's an ear infection and when its teething. Frustrating to say the least so we spend a lot of time at the doctor's because I want to have the meds if it is an ear infection. I am super sensitive to it because Andrew had to have tubes because of chronic ear infections. Peter loves those teething rings that you can put in the fridge to cool down if you have any of those. Hang in there! And don't let me scare you with all my yapping..it's probably teething. She's at the right age..but if she doesn't improve or if she gets worse, you might want to get her checked out.